Bollywood in Gujarat

Gujarat - the western state of India, is turning 50 today. After independence, only one state was formed in Western India-Bombay. Which in 1960-got parted and Maharashtra+Gujarat were born.

Sometimes I feel GRrrrrrRRr... that Bombay went to Maharashtra :P cause its the home to Hindi film industry which I die for. Sigh... but that was done for good. Anyways, I am not going to discuss those things here. Here, I will always blabber about films and more films. So, here I'm presenting connection between Bollywood and Gujarat. Well, kind of. Because Gujarat has given many many great talents to Hindi cinema, but here I'm discussing about some great movies shot in my state. [yes yes, your guess is right - I'm gonna start with LAGAAN :p ]

LAGAAN : [sau saal pehle ki ek aisi kahani....] oops, well, can't resist. The dialogue from 'the' Bachchan always echoes in my mind when I write or speak that word. OK, getting back. The epic, the legend was completely shot at Bhuj, Kutch district. Not a single movie can beat such management, such fantastic visuals which were filmed at a desert ! nothing can & nothing will match the awesomeness of the movie. I'm so proud and lucky to have this movie shot here and also me visiting the location. [more here - 1 2 ] was the lifetime experience.

Refugee : Moving little bit ahead from that location, we have Khavda. The place where visually beautiful Refugee was shot by J P Dutta. Beautiful white deserts [salt desert] was really interesting to see on big screen. [ah, but always running Abhishek was an eyesore for sure :P]

Road, Movie : Talking about beautiful picturisations, recent Abhay Deol movie had great visuals of the white desert. Add beautiful Tanishtaa Chaterjee, the result was awesome. I have been there in salt deserts of Kutch, and believe me, its a sight you can never forget. Here's me in the picture.

Magdheera : Ahem, yes, I haven't watched the movie yet, but yes, that too is filmed here. And for that only reason, i m going to watch it soon. Cause visuals are fantastic in these pictures.
Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam : This is the movie which was fully based on Gujarati. Shot at Gujarat's locations. Sanjay Bhansali himself being a Gujarati, has brilliantly created beauty of my state on screen. Shot at Bhuj and Gondal, the pair Aisalman, made it more lovely.

Manthan & Mirch Masala : Dusky and talented beauty Smita Patil's two fantastic movies. Former told story behind the biggest milk revolution called - Amul. Movie was directed by Shyam Benegal. While Ketan Mehta's Mirch Masala told story of fierce lady Sonbai. Rural Gujarat was captured beautifully in both movies.

Guide : yet another legend. Most of the parts were shot in Rajasthan, but the village where Raju comes after jail, was in Gujarat. The drought scenes were actually shot in Limdi, Saurashtra, Gujarat. There was a drought in the state at that time. And when the movie got released, it was advertised as 'Guide prays for rain' and it went on to become a huge success.

Mother India : See, all great movies has a link in them-Gujarat. Lagaan, Guide and now this. Yes, this was fully shot at Chikhli, a south Gujarat village. And this is the land where both Nargis and Sunil Dutt fell in love with each other.

Phew, there can be many more. For example dark movies like Parzania, Dev and Firaaq where filmed here, but rather disturbing visuals were there. But right now its time to rejoice, time to celebrate 'Swarnim Gujarat' [Golden Gujarat] so, I would end this post on a happy note. A favorite song which also was filmed here. At Vadodara - a childhood favorite place - toy train [see song from 3:11 ] Shammi ji....


7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this! Although, I see you left out What's Your Rashee off your list...can't say I blame you :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thanks for pointing out anishok
    But i have listed are the movies which were shot here. No doubt WYR was about gujjus, but wasn't shot here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I didn't know so many were shot in Gujarat. Especially Mother India, I had no idea. Cool post! I wish I could do a post on the many Hindi movies filmed in upper east Tennessee. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, do that post ajnabi so that we can know more abt ur place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I'd love to visit Gujarat, sounds like a stunning place! Well it'd have to be to lure these top film makers in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! This is awesome. I'm glad you got to see the Telugu film, Magadheera, because of this though. Thanks for the information :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ashish01:42

    Is that all?
    After all there are so many Hindi movies and it shows poor cinematography of Gujarat despite the great people, food, industrial progress and culture.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails