Forgotten Soundtracks (4) ...Yahaan

Yahaan (2005) Directed by Shoojit Sircar, was a film about Kashmir, and naturally it had backdrop of darkness around Army personnels and terrorism. But rather than emphasizing more over it, this movie dealt with beautiful lovestory between Jimmy Shergill and Minissha Lamba [her first movie]. She looked lovely as a Kashmiri girl.

Music by Shantanu Moitra [Parineeta, LRM, Eklavya] is one of his excellent but few works in Bollywood. This soundtrack was publicized at great extent by Times Music, but only one song 'Naam Adaa Likhna' found fans. But I personally loved each song of the album. And what more we get, stupendous lyrics by none other than Gulzar Saab.....

Album starts off with beautiful music that takes us to river Jehlum in Kashmir. 'Naam Adaa Likhna' is one of the best work Shantanu had done till now. Such a soothing track sung by Shreya Ghoshal and Shaan. Such freshness is around it I can listen to it again and again. With lovely words by Gulzar. This is my one of the most fav work of him.

Another lyrical gem is 'Urzu Urzu Durkut'-some kashmiri words put in by Gulzar is a song you can enjoy roaming around. Sample these awesome words-

"Aankh bole ke khwab khwab khelte raho, Roz koi ek jung pelate raho, Chaand toote, toh tukde tukde baant lena, Gol pahiya hai, raat-din dhakelate raho"

[Eyes are telling to play games of dreams, go on and fight a new war everyday [with life], If moon breaks, share pieces of it; Night & days are like a giant wheel, keep pushing them]

Shreya Ghoshal does a fantastic job, naughty singing with chorus of children.

Next trak is 'Mele Chaliyan' another one sung by Shreya again with chorus, is a fab song with folk touch to it. And it gets really interesting while approaching its end.

Next two tracks are sung and composed by Nizami Bandhu alongwith Sameeruddin and Abhishek Arora. Way before Jodha-Akbar, we had this track with mention to Khwaja of Ajmer. The track 'Ajmer Wale Khwaja' is a wonderful classical piece. The song is about sadness due to distances between the two protagonist. And pray to meet beloved.

Last one is 'Kahoon Kaise Sakhi' sung by Nizami Bandhu. Interestingly it features nice combination of western instruments in kind of Qawaali rendition. The Guitar strings are absolute adorable. By the end, the song picks up with western beats and finishes excellently.

The album has two remixes, but they are not just another kind of remixes. They boast good quality mix up of English words. 'Mele Chaliyan' and 'Naam Adaa Likhna' are quite well remixed that can be played. And worth to mention is an instrumental track 'Yahaan Theme' rendered by Tara. Such a haunting theme. We can feel beauty of Kashmir all around us.

Listen it here,

and please do tell me - shall I continue with this series? Is it done well?

And below is the reason, why I was much disappointed with Minissha in Kidnap....

15 comments:

  1. I like the soundtrack to Yahaan..naam ada likhna and mele chaliyan being favorites..the wedding scene and her trying to impress jimmy shergill was quite cute..
    she was such a promising face..now..i wish i could same the same..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you and with JJC 100% on this album. I love the music, and I really like the film, too. Of course, Naam Ada Likhna is awesome. 'Mele Chaliyaan' is fantastic too, and the end to that song I can never forget.

    LOL at Yahaan se Wahaan tak. I didn't mind her in Kidnap, only her character was maha-flawed, and for someone who can do as well as she did in Yahaan, it is a step down to see her in Kidnap. Guys and gals who want to try something different in their careers are best kept away from Sanjay Gadhvi, I think :)

    And dude, I like this series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JJC Thanks for stopping by. Those scenes were really interesting. Somewhat I find similarity with 'Taal'. Might be cause backdrop is same. But Minisha looks way more gorgeous then her. Loved her. Somebody give her nice roles yaar....

    tBF Yeah. Shantanu did wonders in this. Looking fwd to see what he has to offer in 3idiots.

    I think she had to do it to keep up with Bolly trends. After such fantastic debut, she was not getting much offers so had to do it. Or else, 'Gadhvi' factor worked for her. You are right abt career tip ;D LOL. Though, Minisha was good in Bachna Ae Haseeno. Bubbly..

    Thanks, so glad you liked this series. More coming soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yahaan's OST is fantastic! I love all the songs, esp. Mele Chaliyaan. I feel these songs should feature amongst Shreya Ghosal's best work.

    And lyrics! What do we say about Gulzaar..no one can beat him in that! His words for Omkara's Naina Thag Lenge and Jag Jaa are my most favourites (and also JBJ's Bol Na Halke Halke). I love his work too much :)

    And as for Shantanu Moitra, he's a brilliant music director. All his songs have an Indian feel to it..maybe he should work more.

    PS You must continue with the series. I love reading these posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the soundtrack rocks? I haven't even seen the movie but heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicki Yup. the soundtrack totally rocks. It has got the earthy flavor that makes it special. And yes, the movie is also good. You should watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Naam Ada Likhna was the only song I'd heard. I like Jimmy Shergill as a general rule so I'm tempted to watch this movie. And I am enjoying this 'bhule bisre geet' series a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous08:48

    This movie indeed had melodious music. I keep listening to my CD regularly.

    The movie was also very good. Pity it seems to have flopped.

    Your series are good. This is my first visit tho.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous08:48

    This movie indeed had melodious music. I keep listening to my CD regularly.

    The movie was also very good. Pity it seems to have flopped.

    Your series are good. This is my first visit tho.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bhargav Absolutely. Gulzar saab is God Gift to Indian Music scene. Omkara's songs you have mentioned are such great songs, that great would be understatement for them. And yes, Shantanu has got such charm of old times in his music, you can listen to him non-stop without being tired.
    Thanks, and glad you love my posts. :)

    Pitu Oh, you love Jimmy?? Intersting. He is good, I agree. But Underused by the industry. And Thanks a lot for loving 'bhule bisre geet' [love the title] !!

    Anonymousji, hi and welcome to my blog. Thanks and So glad you liked my series in first visit. Do check out for more in future :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shantanu Moitra ROCKS. Nuff said.

    Naam Ada Likhna is haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sujoy Yeah, I remember the song playing everytime to wake me up. How? the ad of the album, always came in between devotional tracks on Radio Mirchi at morning. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous03:56

    Can anyone tell me the enlgish lyrics for Mele Chaliyaan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous03:56

    can any1 tell me english translation for mele chaliyaan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Does anyone know the meaning of the Kashmiri part in 'naam ada likhna' that the song starts with?

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails